Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First zoo trip!

Brian and I have always enjoyed going to zoos. Before Daniel was born, we hit most of the big zoos in the surrounding states. We have been anxiously looking forward to visiting zoos with our little guy, and this weekend marked our first zoo experience with Daniel in tow. It was a beautiful October day, and we really enjoyed strolling around outdoors. Daniel was very curious about his surroundings and attentively watched the animals. The most memorable event of our zoo trip involved the goose pictured below.


Now, does this look like a dangerous situation to you? Who would have guessed that just seconds after this photo was taken, that goose would bite my baby! We had gotten some food pellets out of one of those little machines, and Brian was feeding them to the goose. I thought it looked like a perfect photo opportunity, so I pushed Daniel a little closer, and started snapping away. Brian looked down for a moment, and that goose reached his scrawny neck out and took a few good nibbles on Daniel's little toes! I screamed, "His toes, his toes!" I heard muffled laughter behind us and noticed an elderly couple who had observed the whole situation. Daniel took a few moments to digest what happened, and then decided to cry. We scooped him up, and he quickly calmed down. I think it surprised him (and me!) more than anything. We could not help but laughing, because Daniel's little toes were exactly the same size as the food pellets! The stupid goose got its wires crossed. Anyway, it sure made our first zoo experience with Daniel memorable. Here are some more photos!



I am glad that goat didn't chomp on his toes too! Next time, we will put Daniel in some steel-toed boots! Ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parenting truly is an adventure. Who would have anticipated a toe biting goose!? God bless you! Mom

Anonymous said...

This looks like you all had a great time (minus the goose getting part). You three sure do make a beautiful family. Oh, and handsome, too. ;) I really enjoy getting to read about the things you do together. Whether they be everyday family moments at home, holiday or b-day celebrations, or special outings like this one. "First Zoo Trip"... such fun and such blessed memories made. Praying over you each today.

P.S.

"steel-toed boots.." Lol.

Anonymous said...

How funny!