The past few nights have been rather sleepless for me. Daniel is struggling with a cold and has not been sleeping well. Even when he is slumbering peacefully, I have been unable to sleep. I cried out to God (and anyone else who would listen). How can I go on like this? I have not had one full night of sleep in nine months. It cannot be good for my body…not to mention my mental functioning!
This morning, my eyes happened to fall on a poem written by Ruth Bell Graham, entitled “When Sleep Is Withheld.” She talks about when God asks for our nights. We have the choice to take the easy path or the blessed path. Suddenly, a load was lifted from my shoulders. Sleep, like all good things, comes from the hand of God. He is completely aware of my physical needs as well as my spiritual ones. Perhaps this time has been ordained for greater blessing…for getting to know Him better…for discovering His will.
When I become sleep obsessed, I miss out on the joy of my present circumstances. I count the minutes until I can go to bed, instead of enjoying those precious minutes with my son and husband. I also miss the blessings God is providing in the midst of this sleeplessness. He has sustained me miraculously. Even when I have little sleep, I still walk through my day with sufficient energy. What a blessing!
I am once again reminded that our joy does not come from outward circumstances. Joy is something that Jesus plants deep down in our hearts. Joy comes from doing God’s will. And God always provides what is needed to do His will…sleep or no sleep. Praise the Lord!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Beautiful entry. I am praying for you. We love you and are so proud of you. Today as I held Daniel I told him, "Your mama does such a good job with you and takes such good care of you." Thought I'd better pass this sentiment on to you as Daniel didn't seem terribly impressed. Much love, Mom
Father God, I praise You for Melinda's gift of sharing what she learns in You. Thank You that You are our Father, wanting only the best for us and knowing just what we need. That You for giving Melinda some insight into her current circumstance and how, through this rugged time, she can praise you as she appreciates all You have given to her. With confidence in You, I am certain she will also be blessed with rest and renewal exactly when she needs it. Thank You for allowing me to be a part of her life. Amen
Amen! Praise the Lord. He is ever faithful. And what an entry this was precious Melinda. I am lifted up and hugged in the spirit of these words poured out from your very soul. I am continuing to pray for you, special daughter of the Most High. You are an awesome mommy - Jesus with skin on!
Love and prayers - Melody
Post a Comment