Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Keepin' it real

I often use this blog as a scrapbook for Daniel. I have a difficult time getting photos developed and put into albums, but this blog is one way I keep record of his babyhood. Therefore, I typically only post the happy, memorable events in our little world.

Well, here is a less-than-perfect moment for the record. On Friday night, Daniel did NOT sleep well. I pieced together about 4 hours of sleep, which is just not sufficient for me. In addition, we had someplace to be on Saturday morning, so there was no lazing around the house. Brian was working, but I managed to get Daniel and I bathed and dressed and packed to leave. Just as we were pulling out of the driveway, I got a call letting me know our plans were canceled. Suddenly, we were all dressed up with no where to go. My exhaustion seemed to make this situation much more depressing than it really was. Brian came home, we got Daniel fed, and he went down for a nap. I had been yearning for this moment all morning. I was free to take a nap myself, dirty house be danged. I ate some lunch, checked my email, and just as I was preparing to lay down, guess what happened? That's right...little Mr. Man woke up. I desperately tried to rock him back to sleep to no avail. I felt like screaming. I felt like crying. I felt like I would never be well-rested again! I scooped Daniel up and carried him into the living room where Brian was studying for his crop insurance test. I plopped Daniel on his lap and said, "I can't do this anymore!" I ran to the bedroom, shut the door, and crawled into bed fully dressed with the covers over my head. As I laid there feeling sorry for myself, I thought I could hear Daniel crying. He must feel upset and rejected by his mommy! I pulled the covers off my head and then realized it was not crying that I heard...it was great peals of laughter. They were obviously quite alright without me. So, I stayed right where I was for over an hour. When I finally emerged from the bedroom, Daniel and Brian were having a great time outside in the kiddie pool.

After reading this post, I feel kind of sheepish. A little sleeplessness seems enough to push me over the edge sometimes. Sigh. Perhaps I need to reread this post and take some of my own advice. I pray that I can learn the lessons God wants to teach me and enjoy this precious little boy He has given to us. In the meantime, I am thankful for a husband who picks up the slack when I have a mommy meltdown.

6 comments:

Linda Born said...

Love this post. Love your writing ("dirty house be danged"). Love you.
Mom

P.S. I really love that photo of Daniel, too. I'm betting he's just finished playing in the sandbox and has taken refuge behind the planter because he doesn't want to go inside. Am I right?!

Sarah Z said...

Oh, sweetie, if it makes you feel better, I think every mom has been there -- more than once! Your honesty make me feel like I'm not alone. Luv ya!!

Melinda said...

Mom, you are absolutely right about the photo of Daniel. He had gotten out of the sandbox, and since he was completely covered in sand, I took off his shirt and shorts. I was trying to brush him off, but he got behind the planter in order to avoid me! Then he picked a few flowers too...

Sarah, thank you so much for the sweet comment!

Pam said...

Precious times indeed! How wise you are to recognize this even through blurred vision brought on by lack of sleep! How wise to trust your son to his Daddy (earthly and heavenly) while you took a break. The post about his little baby hands is so sweet too. Bet your mom can relate to that on a deeper level as she looks at your all grown up brother's hands now! Thanks for keeping it real and yet positive too.

Anonymous said...

Melinda,
All "supermoms" are human -- been there, done that! And, you certainly qualify as a supermom with your enduring patience and care of our needly little guy. I'm so thankful you have our reliable Brian there to back you up -- thanks for sharing and know you are not alone!
love, m

Linda Born said...

I've just laughed again this morning over that little pursed mouth in the photo of Daniel. He looks like he's thinking, "I don't care what she says, I'm gonna pick one of those flowers..."