Over the past few months, I have read several books that I find very commendable. I want to share a little about them.
The Mitford books by Jan Karon
I am seriously addicted to this series of books. I am currently reading the third of the nine novels, and each seems better than the last. Jan Karon is absolutely hilarious, has amazing characterizations, and can take ordinary people and situations and make them extraordinarily interesting. These are wholesome books that center on an Episcopalian priest, his family, his congregation, and his dog. Scripture is sprinkled throughout the novels, so you even feel fed spiritually after reading them. I highly recommend this series!
Revolutionary Parenting by George Barna
If you are striving to raise Godly children, I think this book would be of interest to you. George Barna has conducted thousands of surveys and interviews with spiritual champions and their parents. He has identified many common denominators in what these parents did that led their children to be God-followers. It encouraged and challenged me in this journey of parenting.
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Kid Pleasing Recipes & Tips by Theresa Kingma
I love cookbooks. Sometimes I cuddle up in bed with a cookbook, and just have myself a good old time reading recipes and dreaming of culinary creations. Anywho, this cookbook has been such a great find for us. As many of you know, Daniel is allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts. We are praying like crazy that he will outgrow these allergies, but in the mean time, my cooking has had to drasitcally change. I have made about a dozen recipes from this cookbook, and we have particularly enjoyed the bake goods. It is difficult to make muffins, breads, cookies, etc. without milk or eggs, but somehow Theresa Kingma has created recipes that are just as delicious as the dairy/egg loaded stuff. I recommend this book to families who also struggle with food allergies.
Reading is my form of escapism. Unfortunately, it sometimes keeps me away from those humdrum tasks that need doing. For example, the house has not been that clean since I picked up the latest Mitford book...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, you are definitely a God-follower, so I'm trying to remember what I did. Yelled. Hmmm, don't think that did it. Cried. Nope, that neither. Embarrassed the socks off you...no, no, probably not. Prayed...
BINGO!!!!
Love you,
Mom (Linda)
Melinda, I enjoyed reading your book reviews. What a great idea. We should all share some book reviews from time to time. I confess that not all of my books are of a christian nature. I happen to find the Stephanie Plum books (by Janet Evanovich) very funny. Number 15 just came out recently in hardback. Now I have to wait for the paperback! I started them when Brad was home on hospice. Sis Carol gave me the first three and said "read these now when you are taking breaks." So I did, and she was right. For that hour a day while mom and dad or one of the girls took care of Brad, I went off into a crazy world full of silly happenings for this girl bounty hunter, and I was able to laugh. It was good therapy. A while after Brad died a close girlfirend, Donna, gave me a book to read that she said helped her understand what I was going through like nothing else could have (she likes to read too). I took the book thinking it was some profound piece of work to help people understand grief. Don't remember who wrote it but it was called Good Grief, and man oh man, did it help me to laugh during a not so laughable time. I too love the Mitford books and have them all. I'm about ready to start them over again--perhaps this fall as the weather turns cool. I can easily dream of being in Mitford in the fall, you know, stopping in at the Sweet Stuff for a muffin and getting one for Uncle Billy to take to Miss Rose! You know, I hardly ever cook anymore (kind of missing it), but I love to go through my magazines when they come in and look over all the recipes. I still cut out and save the ones that sound good to me! It was fun to think of you dreaming over your cookbooks. I have made that yummy salad recipe your mom had the last time I was at their home. She said that recipe came from you so thanks for sharing that and your book reviews!
Post a Comment