Friday, June 12, 2009

Proverbs 31 woman meets Mary

Several weeks ago I finished studying the book of Proverbs. I have been mulling that infamous last chapter over in my mind ever since. I think most women feel slightly discouraged after reading about the Proverbs 31 woman. Who can measure up to that? In my quest to answer that question, the Lord led me to a different Bible story, Luke 10:38-42. It is the story of two sisters: Mary, who sat at Jesus’ feet, and Martha, who was busy serving. Jesus said that Mary had chosen the good part…the better part. It almost seems like Proverbs 31 and Luke 10 contradict one another, doesn’t it? As I prayed, I felt the Lord showing me how these two stories coincide. We are to care for our families, to provide for our households, to work diligently. But, we are also to spend time sitting at Jesus’ feet. The way we balance these two behaviors is by abiding with and listening to the Lord. We must dedicate our schedules to Him…day by day…moment by moment…praying it through each morning and committing it to the Lord each night. Our ears must be tuned into the Lord’s still, small voice…those gentle promptings that guide us through each day. Our hearts must look to and lean on the Holy Spirit. Our minds must choose to trust that God will lead us if we are willing to follow.

I am horrible at doing the above. Dedicating my schedule (and my life) to the Lord does not come naturally to me. But then again, complete dependence on the Holy Spirit does not come naturally to any of us here on earth. However, I am realizing it is the only way to have life and to have it abundantly. And that is what my heart truly longs for…abundant, passionate, God-glorifying life.

3 comments:

Linda Born said...

Two thoughts. One, you are not horrible at balancing your inner Martha and Mary. I am constantly amazed by your commitment to Daniel, and what do you call those company meals that you so competently (and deliciously) prepare? Proverbs 31 tendencies shining out! And, my second thought is to say, "How'd you get so much wisdom at such a young age?" Wow. That's just about all I can say is, "WOW!" (Remember Lily's Purple Plastic Purse??? If anyone gets this reference gimme a high five!)

Melinda said...

I don't know the Lily reference... you will have to explain it to me sometime! And by the way, any wisdom I might have gained has been a direct result of God's graciousness and the teaching and praying you have poured into me since before I was born. Thank you.

Melody Milbrandt said...

Fabulous post Melinda. I was already tearing up(as this post topic is very close to my heart) and then here I come upon this sweet exchange from you and your mom and well... now my little tears have leaked right out. :)