I think it began when we attended the Star Wars day at our local library. Or perhaps it was that lightsaber we found for a quarter at a garage sale. But, what certainly cinched Daniel's fascination with Star Wars was when he found his daddy's set of vintage Star Wars figures. Brian had collected these figures when they originally came out in the early eighties. They had been well-loved by little Brian, but now they are absolutely adored by the next generation. Daniel talks about Star Wars when he wakes up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. We have allowed him to see a few short clips from the older movies, and this has only furthered his great love for all things Star Wars. He asks us questions about the story line, memorizes the details, and then reenacts them with the figures.
I am amazed and somewhat worried! Star Wars is not exactly what I would pick for my three year old son to love. How about something more tame, like, oh say, teddy bears? Despite my concern, I have to laugh at times. Earlier this week, he wanted to dress up as Luke Skywalker. I found a large brown towel, and we wrapped it around his shoulders for a cloak. Then, he picked up his lightsaber and looked at me very solemnly. In an unnaturally deep voice, he said "I must go to Darth Vader. He is my father." He turned and walked away as I dissolved into laughter. Then I heard sounds of a lightsaber fight taking place in our living room.
O glory. What will be next?
No comments:
Post a Comment