Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Time

It is almost Christmas! Hurray! I love this time of year, but oh my, it is so busy. We are trying to get Christmas cards in the mail, cookies baked, and packages wrapped. In the midst of these preparations, we desperately desire to keep our hearts focused on Jesus. He is the reason for this beautiful season!

Daniel has been so interested in our nativity this year. When I put up my very dear and somewhat expensive nativity, he wanted to play with it so badly. I began looking frantically for a "play" nativity for him, and my mom came to the rescue. She loaned us my grandmother's old nativity, and Daniel has loved it. He has learned the names of each figure, and likes to move them around and act out the story.

Daniel is also super interested in Santa Claus. Ever since I started reading him "The Night Before Christmas," he has been asking questions about Santa and his reindeer. My feelings are mixed about Santa. Do I promote the myth or just tell him it is something fun to pretend about? I don't know! We did take him to the mall to see Santa this year. Almost every child in line before us cried when they were placed on Santa's lap. Daniel looked a little concerned, so I explained that Santa was very nice and that there was no reason to be scared. When it was Daniel's turn, he walked right up to Santa by himself and crawled up beside him in the sleigh. Daniel was a little shy, but did manage to tell Santa what he wants for Christmas--a big tractor and planter. On the way out, Daniel asked, "Where are the reindeer?" I explained that reindeer aren't allowed in the mall!


We wish all of you a very, merry Christmas!

No comments: