You know, birthdays can be tricky things. My birthday was last week, and though I was blessed by the warm thoughts and actions of many people, I was still tempted to feel sorry for myself. Daniel had his annual allergy appointment that day, so we had to get up early, pack the car, and make the two hour trip to see our allergist. Then, we had to sit in a doctor’s office for several hours, while Daniel was examined and had blood drawn. It was wearing. It was stressful. It wasn’t what I wanted for my birthday. Several other circumstances added up to make that day and actually, that entire week difficult. During church yesterday morning, I just wanted to hang my head and cry.
What did I want for my birthday? Well, I wanted to feel special. I wanted to be pampered. I wanted to be free of responsibilities. I didn’t just want these things…I felt entitled to them. It was my one day of the year! Was it too much to ask? I brought these things before the Lord, and He did provide comfort, though not exactly in the way I expected. After reading my Bible and praying, this was the message I felt God was showing me.
I must have absolute confidence in His loving care. God loves me. He knows my heart’s desires. He can be trusted to meet my needs. At church my hymnal fell open to the song, God Will Take Care of You. If I believe that God will take care of me, then I am freed from the need to be selfish…to demand that my needs be met…to grasp for rest or fulfillment or whatever. If I believe He will take care of me, I am able to roll with the punches. I am able to take my eyes off myself, and place them on Jesus and His interests in others.
The other thing God pressed upon my heart was to praise Him. Praise is the fastest way into God’s presence. It reminds us of how awesome He is, how faithful He has been, and how much we have been given. It restores the right perspective to our hearts.
Earlier I mentioned that I felt “entitled” to special treatment because it was my birthday. I have found that you are on a slippery slope whenever you feel entitled to anything. All too often feelings of entitlement lead to feelings of disappointment or resentment. It helps me to remember that Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve. One of his last acts before the crucifixion was to wash the disciples’ feet. My Savior and King washed dirty, stinking feet. That kind of throws my “entitlements” out the window!
In truth, my birthday had many joyous things about it. I am so thankful for the caring family and friends that God has placed around me. I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my. What Holy Spirit inspired wisdom! Love the title. Slippery slopes indeed! This section hit my heart: "Praise is the fastest way into God’s presence. It reminds us of how awesome He is, how faithful He has been, and how much we have been given. It restores the right perspective to our hearts." Thank you for this reminder today. Mom Linda
Thank you for sharing. This was a good devotion for me. Love you.
We love you, Melinda! Thanks for sharing your thoughts... they helped me to put things in perspective, too! :)
-Sara
Post a Comment