Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thoughts

"Nothing else but this seeing God in everything will make us loving and patient with those who annoy and trouble us. They will be to us then only the instruments for accomplishing His tender and wise purposes toward us, and we shall even find ourselves at last inwardly thanking them for the blessings they bring."
-Hannah Whitall Smith

I found this quote several days ago, and God keeps bringing it back to my mind. I am continually tempted to put “my plans” ahead of other people. My personality is one that likes order and schedules and lists. When someone or something gets in the way of accomplishing my list, I can become irritated. But, as Hannah Whitall Smith reminds us, everything is from the hand of God. He is above all and in all circumstances of our lives. My ministry here on this earth is not to have my to-do list complete. It is to care for and minister to those people God places in my path. And how much more wonderful it is to minister to others than to bury oneself in insignificant work.

So, do I let the housework go? Do I stop cooking and doing laundry? Unfortunately, I do not believe those are the answers either. The Bible warns against laziness too! And besides, I want our home to be a comfortable haven where we can relax, have family gatherings, and entertain friends. The answer is to put God in charge of my plans…my days…my priorities. My goal is to do the task at hand but recognize that interruptions are from God. I must abide so closely with the Lord that His plans become my plans.

I think it might take me awhile (like the rest of my life) to get this one right. Fortunately, we serve a patient and merciful God! :)

No comments: