Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Ode to the Sunfire
Brian and I bought a new (to us) vehicle today!!! We had been researching and thinking about getting something different for almost a year now. My little 2-door Sunfire was not exactly the optimal car for our growing family. Getting the car seat into the back was always a fiasco. The trunk was hardly big enough for the stroller. Recently, it began showing signs of its age too. First, some of the plastic molding on the door came unglued. Then, the battery died because the alternator was bad. A few days ago the rear view mirror fell off. The time had come for something new. And even though I am incredibly excited about our new Ford Escape, I am also very sad to be trading in my Sunfire. I am surprised by the amount of emotion I suddenly feel toward my little car. How can I explain it? I have been driving my Sunfire for over nine years. It is the car that drove me to my last day of high school and my first day of college. It is the car that I buzzed around in during those glorious days of falling in love with Brian. It took me to the airport to pick him up, it took me to the church on the day of our wedding, and it took the two of us to Eureka Springs for our honeymoon. This little car also drove me to my first day of teaching my first class of students. It has been such a good car, taking Brian and I to and from many different places. It even took us to the hospital when we had Daniel, and it brought our new little family of three home again. So many memories...so many life changes...so much more to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember clearly the day you and your father brought the Sunfire home. I'd said, "My only request is that Melinda's new car not be red."
"Red," I explained in pious tones, "could attract the wrong kind of attention." I was full of angst over sending my only daughter off to college and anonymity seemed the best protection against stranger danger.
I was in bed with a bad cold that day. I heard a loud honking and raised my aching head in order to look out the window. There, glowing brilliantly against a white backdrop of snow, was your new bright RED Sunfire. I groaned and let my head fall back to the pillow.
Despite my dire predictions, you've driven that car for 9 years and have never gotten a speeding ticket (even though it has no cruise control). Furthermore the attention it brought you was inarguably good--for example, the kind of attention that caused a college boy to draw an icthus in the dust of the driver's side door...
Well, the anointing goes with the passengers, not with the mode of transportation. This isn't the next phase of life so much as it is a continuation of the first. God bless you as you continue this journey!
I remember the day we brought my car home too. You dragged yourself outside so that you could see it and pray over it. Thank you for that prayer and all of those that followed!
When I went to show my new car to Grandma Irma, she said, "Oh to be 18 and have a little red car!" That certainly was true. However, being 27 with a new little Ford Escape ain't so bad either. The Lord is good!
Post a Comment