A couple months ago, I ran across Amy’s blog at The Finer Things. I really enjoyed perusing her site, and I quickly became a regular there. She posts some excellent recipes and kitchen tips. We actually made her brown bag burritos last night, and I had her lazy granola for breakfast this morning. Yum! Recently, she has been doing a series called, “Mommy, Come Home.” I have been inspired and encouraged by the posts that she and other moms have written. She offered the opportunity for other moms to share their stay-at-home stories, so I decided to write mine. Here it is. And if you have time, click over to Amy’s blog and check out the entire series.
I always knew I would quit my job and stay home with our children. My mom had stayed home with my brother and me. My husband’s mom stayed home with him. My heart told me it was the right path for us. Even though I felt so assured about this, the road to staying home had its challenges. I like having a plan for everything, and my plan was to finish my master’s degree and work as a school counselor awhile before we had children. However, I was six months into my master’s program when I felt God’s nudge to have children. I awoke one morning with an amazingly vivid dream still in my mind. In the dream, a doctor was urging Brian and me to have children immediately. Now, I don’t usually put much stock into dreams, but I couldn’t get this one out of my mind. Over the next few weeks, things kept happening that seemed to shout “Have a baby now!” Finally, I committed the whole issue to prayer. Was this the Lord speaking to me or just a bunch of crazy coincidences? After several months and lots of prayer, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was time for us to have children. Convincing my husband took a little while, and then it took some time to get pregnant, but in February of 2008 our son Daniel arrived.
Becoming a new mother was a wonderful, yet exhausting experience for me. I never knew that my heart could hold so much love. The joy was great, but we had some trials too. Daniel was colicky and did not sleep much for weeks. Being at home with a crying baby all day, every day was challenging. I remember at one point sobbing and saying, “My life is no longer my own!” And then this thought came clearly into my mind: my life never was my own. It always has and always will belong to God. That revelation brought peace and perspective to my heart.
Daniel is now 20 months old, and he is a delightful toddler. He learns new things every day, and I have the joy and privilege of watching him develop. I would not trade this time for anything. ANYTHING. It doesn’t matter that the money is tight or that homemaking chores are sometimes monotonous. It doesn’t matter that my degree is still incomplete (though I am praying about how and when to finish it). What does matter is that I am following God and doing what is best for our family. I am so grateful to have this opportunity!
This is my story. Many mamas have different stories that are just as right and just as joyful. God is the only One who knows what your “right” story is. I pray you find it, and that you are blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"What does matter is that I am following God and doing what is best for our family."
That says it all!
Thanks so much for adding your story to the MCH series. :)
Thanks, Melinda, for sharing this. I enjoyed reading your story. It was also wonderful to see Daniel (and you and Brian too) today. Luv you.
"...my life never was my own. It always has and always will belong to God. That revelation brought peace and perspective to my heart..." Beautiful! This story brought tears of joy and gratitude to my eyes. I am so grateful that our precious grandson has been blessed with his parents' commitment to follow God's guidance as you raise him up in the Lord.
Post a Comment