Monday, August 3, 2009

Corn Party

We had a corn party at our house on Sunday afternoon! What, you might ask, is a corn party? Well, my dad had planted sweet corn in part of one field. It has just ripened, so he picked 6 feed sacks full. He and my brother shucked it and cut off the ends. Then, they brought it to our house where Brian and I helped to wash it, blanch it, cut it off the cob, bag it, and freeze it. We put up 60 pints on Sunday and another 26 pints on Monday. That's a lot of corn!






My mom had perhaps the most important job...babysitting Daniel!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

i have said it before, and i will say it again... oh how i wish i was a farmer! :) that looks like SO much fun!!!

Linda Born said...

I must admit, being a farm wife has its moments. Early morning walks in the country, sitting on the front porch on an autumn evening, being able to run to the mailbox without fear of neighbors having to endure the sight of paisley boxers and a 1972 James Taylor t-shirt. These are all good things. A corn party, however, is only fun for the first ten minutes. After that, it goes on for half of forever, is a mess, and leaves stray kernels and spots that make your flip-flops stick to the floor for a solid month following. As Daniel's babysitter I definitely had the best job of the day.

Pam said...

Wow! What a lot of work, but what great family together time too! You did get the best job, Linda! I'm coming to Melinda and Brian's house for some corn--oh, and whatever else you want to feed me. I could bring steaks to go with that corn! Yummy!

Melinda said...

Aunt Pam, you are invited to our house anytime! We would love to have you. :)