Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy

I feel like I have spent half my life bouncing on an exercise ball. And no, it is not because I have an overwhelming desire to get in shape. It is because Daniel can only fall asleep when being bounced. It all started when he was about two weeks old. He was colicky and cried for long periods each day. We found that bouncing helped quiet him and lull him to sleep. It was such a blessing to find something that worked!
Now, fast forward about seven months. Daniel still needs the bouncing to fall asleep. Therefore, I bounce him to sleep before each nap, before bedtime, and during his night wakings. Lately, it has become harder and harder to get him to sleep though. I find myself bouncing him for close to an hour sometimes. Needless to say, I am tired of bouncing and I am tired of being tired. Brian and I finally decided to try out some sleep training techniques. We discussed letting him cry it out, but I know myself. I could not stand it for long. So, I finally decided to put him down when he was drowsy, yet awake, and to stay with him until he fell asleep. Last night was our first time to try this little experiment. I laid Daniel in bed, and he looked up at me with big, round eyes. I pulled up a chair and sat next to his crib. At first, Daniel seemed to think this was some new game. He jabbered a little, squealed a little, and then became bored. He scooted up next to the side of the crib where I was sitting and stuck out a little hand. I reached up and held it. We sat like that for quite some time, and then Daniel started crying. Oh my soul, I just wanted to pick him up and bounce away. Instead, I stood up and put my hands on him and talked soothingly. To make a long, long story short, I was practically in the crib with him before he finally fell asleep. But...he fell asleep without bouncing! My resolve weakened during the night though, and I bounced him to sleep again. I know I must be consistent, but it is so difficult when I am exhausted. We will keep trying, and in a few weeks, I hope every exercise ball in the house is deflated and packed away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man do I remember those days. Bless your hearts. I am praying for you all. Seriously, I know how hard it can be. Keep reminding each other that the Lord cares about this just like He does everything else in your lives.
Just so you know, you are not alone. Check out this funny post I found on another blog regarding the "bouncy, bouncy, bouncy" ball's evil powers. Lol!

http://avilafam.blogspot.com/2007/09/ceremony.html

Linda Born said...

I'm glad that everyone has seemed to have forgotten that it was Grandma Linda who initially suggested the bouncy ball. I can only plead that I was unaware of its addictive powers. And you neglected to mention that Brian has revealed an unexpected streak of violence in doing away with Sally, the queen sized bouncy ball I had loaned to you from my classroom at school. I'd drawn a face on her with marker, named her, and all the children loved her; but alas, she is no more. I do own a bouncy ball pump, however, and one day soon Sally will rise again to entertain a new crop of Reading Recovery students. I just hope that she won't suffer post traumatic stress.
OK, seriously...you are a wonderful mother and I am so blessed by your patience and skill with Daniel. I'm all admiration for how you are working these challenges out day by day.