Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Odds and Ends

Not too much going on around these parts. Brian and I have been keeping busy with the normal work-home routine. Tonight we are at my parent's house, and Brian is helping my dad install new kitchen flooring. They are almost done!
Last week, Brian and I started perusing the enormous selection of baby items at various stores. I am just amazed by how many things that babies apparently require. And most of this stuff is completely foreign to us. For example, what is the difference between stretchies and onesies and rompers? Do we really need a bouncy seat, a swing, and a play yard? Did you know there are about a hundred different kinds of strollers? We are so confused! Feel free to send helpful hints if you have them. :)
As I drove to work this morning, I just praised God for the beauty of this season. Fall is my favorite time of year. I hope all of you are enjoying the cool weather and beautiful trees too!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha ha...I had to laugh at the craziness of knowing what to get for a baby! I'd ask someone who has parented a few before... ;)

I love Fall, too! Can't wait to hang out tomorrow! See you then!

john said...

I think my niece really likes- I think it is called a bouncer - its like a cross between a lounge chair and a car seat type of thing and I think it shakes or vibrates or something. She also likes a swing that had bright colorful toys hanging on it. When you get a list together of things you want let us know would you?

Linda Born said...

Oh my goodness. I don't know any of this stuff; it has been twenty years since I was Informed and Knowledgeable about such things and the rules have all changed. Is there a book called Grandmothering for Dummies????
Well-intentioned but dim-wittedly yours, Grandma Linda

Sarah Rahija said...

Diapers, wipes, diaper disposal place, some sort of butt cream, washcloths, snuggly blankets, a few drool rags, plain sleepers, some relaxing music, and some sort of soothing chair/sleeping device (aka bouncer, swing, ...). I'd recommend something that is portable, as you can take it with you to different parts of the house, (like the bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry area, ...).

Books are also a must, although I'm sure you're already reading to him - they really can hear you and I notice it with Avery so much more, that she loves to SIT and LISTEN to stories, instead of eat them, as Erin did! I read to Erin all the time while I was pregnant with Avery. Even when she was fussy, reading to her seemed to calm her down ... Erin, not-so-much. Garage sales are a treasure trove for these items!

The most important thing to have, is the ability to remind each other that it is a learning process - no one knows how to "do it" and has to learn by doing (no matter how easy they make it look on the outside!). The first few baths might be a disaster ... diaper blowouts, no matter how you may try to prevent them, will happen, most likely in their cutest, lightest-colored outfit, right before pictures/baby dedication/meeting your co-workers ...you will go somewhere public with spit up on your shirt or pants ... you will have days where you shed as many tears as that sweet little bundle ... You can't find it at a store, but I found it to be a priceless commodity, and sometimes hard to find, even when I had stocked up! You will be great parents! God has prepared your hearts for this baby, and He will help you know what to do! Have a great day!

Melinda said...

Thank you all for your helpful comments! They came in handy as we were registering this past weekend. We spent three hours at Babies'R'Us. It was exhausting!