Monday, July 14, 2008

Motherhood

Motherhood is the absolute hardest job I have ever had. (And I have taught middle schoolers!) It seems like I should have been better prepared. But, how can you prepare for something that periodically takes your heart and almost wrings it in two? Let me give you an example. Last week, I was busily straightening the kitchen while Daniel was in his play pen. I noticed he was playing with this plastic insert from a cookie box. It was fairly hard plastic, and he liked the way it crinkled when he grabbed it, so I let him continue playing with it. I did not think he could hurt himself. He was putting it in his mouth, but he has no teeth yet, so I reasoned he could not bite off a piece. Well, I was wrong. A little cry came from the play pen, and when I rushed over, the plastic container was broken on one corner, and Daniel had a plastic bit on his lips. I scooped him up and quickly searched his mouth with my finger for any more. Then, he started choking. Oh my soul! Never before had I so desperately wished that someone else was home with me. I swung Daniel over my arm and began thumping his little back, like they taught us at the infant CPR class. Daniel began coughing and spitting up. I continued thumping his back until I was sure he was breathing alright. This whole situation occurred in about 15 seconds. Daniel seemed fine, but I was almost unable to stand. My knees were weak, my heart was pounding, and I was shaking. When I had somewhat recovered, I began piecing back together the plastic container. Lo and behold, one piece was missing. Had he swallowed it? I had no clue. I called Brian, I called my mom, I called the doctor. Everyone said the same thing...watch and wait. Daniel soon went down for a nap, but I could only pace around and worry. Finally, I began praying, and the Lord comforted my heart with several scriptures. When Brian returned home that evening, I was showing him the plastic container and the hole where the missing piece belonged. As Brian turned the container over in his hands, a small piece of plastic dropped to the counter. It was the missing one! Praise the Lord!
I learned my lesson: Never give Daniel objects that are not intended for baby chompers! On a more serious note, I am learning day by day how to care for this precious little boy. He brings us such happiness. I love him so much it hurts sometimes. Thankfully, the Lord is guiding Brian and me on this amazing journey. We would not trade this time for anything.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I know how you feel, because I've been there too. I had to give Darius back blows several times when he was a baby because of something he put in his mouth. It definitely grows your faith!! It just shows us how, as mothers, we can't be prepared for everything, but can get through it with His help. God Bless!! (By the way, if you're wondering who this is its Jenny Duncan/Lambert.)

Jenny said...

Melinda, I would be glad to talk with you about food allergies. I went through the exact same thing with Samuel (same age and everything). Here's my email address so we can chat back and forth: jennlambert04@yahoo.com.

Linda Born said...

Oh, Honey Girl, I'm so sorry for the pain of loving Daniel so much and at the same time I'm so blessed that you have this incredible joy of being a mother.

I suppose now would be a bad time to mention the time you choked and turned blue because I let you have a Dorito (at age 2)? Lacking mastery of techniques presented in an infant CPR course, I swung you upside down and whacked you between the shoulders. It worked.

I love you!